The Superintendent Development Program (SDP) is a recognized, statewide, year-long, field program that teaches and mentors experienced senior school administrators through the transition from their current position to Superintendent of Schools. The Superintendent Development Program (SDP) was designed and established in 1998 by a team of two BOCES District Superintendent, four Superintendents from Western New York, and three college faculty from SUNY Oswego. From 1998 through 2008 Dr. James M. Merrins served as the SDP Executive Program Administrator and wrote the SDP protocols and Dr. William Silky served as the college faculty and provided the pedagogical oversight. In 2008 the Superintendent Development Program was renamed the New York State Superintendent Development Program.
A new NYS SDP cohort starts each January.
If interested in preparing for the superintendency you may want to consider the Transition to Superintendency Program (TSP) and attending some of our superintendent development workshops.
Administered by the Greater Southern Tier BOCES
- Douglas Hamlin, Program Director
- Glenn Wachter, Ph.D., College Coordinator, SUNY Oswego
About the Superintendent Development Program (SDP)
- Introduction Meetings – “An Introduction to the SDP” – contact us for a presentation to your group
- What is the Superintendent Development Program?
- More Detailed Description of the SDP
- SDP Graduates in Superintendency
- List of All 337 SDP Graduates to 2008
- What SDP Graduates in Superintendency Have to Say
- SDP Article, “Preparing Principals for the Superintendency” (PDF)
- NYSCOSS List of Vacancies [HERE]
Superintendent Development Program Components
- Educational Platforms
- SDP Superintendent’s Inventory
- Team Development and Work
- Superintendent Interviews
- Authentic Issues
- Superintendency Reflections
- Special Topic Sessions
- Three Part Board Meeting
- Individual Critiques
- District Scan and Entry Plan
- Job Screening Interviews
- Shadowing Option
Comments, corrections, source documents, and questions welcome